As you might have heard me say here, old Jenny was having some hot flashes when I did any free motion quilting. I thought maybe she needed a little TLC, a tune up, some oiling, something that would make her feel “younger.”
The local sewing machine repair shop quoted me $59 for a tune up for the sewing machine.
You tube had a 5 part sewing machine tutorial for free. Her machine is more modern and plastic, you may find that tutorial to be just what you need since I am tuning my vintage Kenmore.
A sewing machine maintenance kit at Walmart was $8.97.
So I decided to save some money and do it myself! I put a plastic garbage bag on the service to catch anything that would come out of the machine while cleaning it out.
First, take off all the covers, depending on your machine. Use the screwdrivers to remove the screws that hold down any of the covers. DO NOT TAKE OFF THAT FRONT PLATE WITH THE KNOBS!!! I made that mistake and these buttons became unattached from their “motor” connections and my personal mechanics (husband and dad) were able to fix that, thankfully!
I used an air can and brush to get all the lint out of her.
Because my machine is 40+ years old her bottom is exposed. She used to be attached by hinges to her cabinet. I use rubber drawer liners to keep her from sliding around in the new cabinet I bought for her a few years ago.
Make sure you look for stray threads laced around her parts. I found all this thread tied around the fly wheel.
After the first drop of oil, I could feel the ease by turning the fly wheel. Jenny was feeling much better!
Once I was finished, I cut some new rubber drawer liners to match the surface where she sits.
This Arrow cabinet is air powered and a cinch to work by just pressing it down it springs up or down. When I bought it from Sears more than 10 years ago, it was only $89. Now it’s more than $500!! It’s a very simple cabinet, I don’t see the justification for such a price hike! I just wish I would have gotten it in white, as the little voice in my head suggested.
So Jenny rested in her cabinet a couple of days to let the excess oil drip out. Then I did lots of practice sewing fast and slow on some batting to soak up anything dripping down into the needle. So she is ready to quilt some more and I saved $50!