Have any paper towel rolls? There’s a craft for that!
This is a really fast craft and it makes for a great festive centerpiece. Imagine for a moment candy sticks!
What you will need:
- Paper towel rolls
- Gesso acrylic plaster type of media
- 9 x 11 felt sheets (one for each roll)
- Assorted ribbons and cords. (24 inches of each for each roll)
- Hot glue gun
- A paint brush
1. Gather your paper towel rolls.
2. Paint them with the Gesso. There are several brands and prices and its’ available in art stores, craft stores and online. Here are some links: Create for less at Joann.com (use your coupons!) or Amazon) This product adds firmness to the cardboard and helps hold its shape. One or two coats is fine.
3. Put a line of hot glue LENGTHWISE about 1/8 inch from the edge of the felt. Make sure the paper towel roll is straight with the edge of the felt. and roll it onto the glue so you don’t burn yourself.
4. Keep rolling until you get to the starting point of the felt sheet. Put another line of glue along the roll or the felt and roll it closed.
5. Trim off excess, you can retouch overlap with glue after it’s cut if you need to.
6. From excess cut out two 2 inch circles (to cover the sides)
7. Cut your cord and ribbon to 24 inches. You may glue to secure inside of the tube or just under the overlap flap.
8. Wrap cord or ribbon around the roll first to see how it’ll look. Then do it again, gluing in various spots until you get to the bottom and secure other end inside the tube or under the flap with a dab of glue.
9. Repeat with other trim, secure ends inside tube.
10. Carefully put glue around the edge of the top of the roll and press your circle down. You may trim if necessary. Repeat on other side.
11. Glue the circles on the ends, trim.
Make as many as you like in all different colors if you want!
and tie them together, make a display
or you use them as a centerpiece for the table.